The first recorded burial was of James Penn, father-in-law of Captain Ray Boucaut, on 19th November 1847.
He was a descendant of William Penn, the renowned Quaker who founded the Colony of Pennsylvania.
Many of the early pioneers of the district are buried in St Mary’s Cemetery, the history of a few is recorded in a booklet, “A Pioneer Walk through the churchyard of St Mary’s South Road” by former rector of St Mary’s, the Rev’d John Davies. Numbered sites referred to in the book, assist an interesting walk through the history of the cemetery.
The photograph on the top right shows the grave of pioneer and St Mary’s benefactor, John Wickham Daw, restored in 2004 by members of his family.
The cemetery is still available for burials today; sites both for burial and ashes can be obtained by contacting the parish office – 8276 2693
In 2001 an archeological excavation by Flinders University under the leadership of Dr Tim Ansen made some important discoveries when some early settler pauper graves were examined. An ABC Catalyst program “The secrets of St Mary’s” looked at the information gathered. To learn more please click here.
Pioneer Memorial Garden
After the archeological dig, the exhumed remains were interred in an ossuary at the rear of the cemetery and a plaque commemorating the early pioneers of the district was dedicated.